Top 10 Radiation Oncologists in India
Top 10 Radiation Oncologists in India
List of top 10 radiation oncologists in India is based on our research:
1. Dr. Tejinder Kataria
Dr. Tejinder Kataria is credited with founding the Department of Radiation Oncology at both Artemis Heart Institute and the Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute and setting up Division of Radiation Oncology at Medanta – The Medicity. She introduced India’s first Infinity Linear Accelerator with Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT) and North India’s first Integrated Brachytherapy Unit. She has also introduced the latest evolutions in stereotactic radiation treatment to Medanta such as whole body stereotactic radiotherapy (SBRT), Image Guided Radiotherapy (IGRT), Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT) and 3-D Conformal Radiation (3D CRT).
|DNB Radiotherapy||National Board of Examinations, New Delhi||1993|
|M.D. Radiotherapy||PGI, Chandigarh||1987|
|M.B.B.S||Indira Gandhi Medical College, New Delhi||1984|
2. Dr. Rakesh Jalali
Dr. Rakesh Jalali is an internationally renowned key opinion leader in Oncology particularly known for high-precision radiotherapy techniques. Over the years, he has done path breaking research in the field of cancer treatment, enhancing quality of life for cancer patients and developing appropriate research models.
- Bachelor degree in Medicine and Surgery (MBBS) June 1990 from Govt. Medical College, Jammu (University of Jammu, INDIA)
- Doctor of Medicine (M.D) in Radiotherapy and Oncology January 1994 from the Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, INDIA; passed with distinction, Awarded “MERIT OF FIRST ORDER“
- Senior Research at the Academic unit of the Royal Marsden NHS Trust, London, UK from March 1998 till September 1999, in particular the ‘Stereotactic Radiotherapy’ programme.
- The Neuro Oncology group at TMH was developed by Dr. Jalali. It is hailed as the finest such unit in India and recognized throughout the world.
- Instrumental in establishing the Indian Society of Neuro-Oncology (ISNO) in 2008. He served as its founding general secretary, then its President and now chairing its senior advisory council.
- A much sought-after speaker, he is widely regarded for his teaching and providing expert guidance to various national and international scientific meetings and professional societies.
- Famed for his commitment to charity and promoting equitable cancer care for patient populations in the developing world. He founded the ‘Brain Tumour Foundation of India’, an internationally recognized charity organization dedicated to the welfare of the patients with brain tumours and their families.
PUBLICATIONS AND AWARDS
- Has more than 300 peer review publications
- His research publications include high-impact journals such as the Lancet, Lancet Oncology, JAMA Oncology and JCO to name a few
- Has been instrumental in guiding treatment philosophies in the management of cancers.
- Awarded as the Best Oncologist Award by Medscape in 2014.
- Received the Top Radiation Oncologist Award for 3 consecutive years from 2014 onwards.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Neuro Oncology
3. Dr. Belliappa
Dr Belliappa M. S. completed his MBBS in 1991, his postgraduation at one of the premier institutes in Bangalore. He has worked as a senior resident and lecturer in the Departement of Radiation Oncology, from 1991 to 1996. He later joined HCG and served as a Senior Consultant in the Departement of Radiation Oncology. He has been trained in brachytherapy, at the Long Beach Memorial Cancer Hospital, California, & acquired IMRT skills at the California Cancer Hospital, Fresno, CA. He has been trained in CyberKnife treatment at Stanford and Philadelphia. His areas of interest include head & neck cancers, pediatric tumors, breast and prostate cancer management. He is involved in more than 30 clinical trials, as primary investigator and sub investigator.
Dr Belliappa has presented and published more than 25 national and international papers and is currently involved with an NGO, which promotes cancer education in colleges in Bangalore.
He has been trained in brachytherapy, at the Long Beach Memorial Cancer Hospital, California, & acquired IMRT skills at the California Cancer Hospital, Fresno, CA.
4. Dr. Nalini Rao
Dr. Nalini Rao has been trained to be a Radiation Oncologist for over two decades. She has extensive experience in advanced techniques like 3D-CRT, IMRT, IGRT and Whole body Stereotactic Radiotherapy. She also has adequate experience with Gynecological Brachytherapy and Interstitial Bracytherpay for Head & Neck, Breast and Soft Tissue Sarcomas. Dr. Nalini Rao received Fellowship at the Christie Hospital & HOlT Raduim Institute, Manchester, UK, in 2000. She received training in Advanced Linear Accelerator at the UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center, San Francisco, USA. She is also trained in Image Guided Radiotherapy at the Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, USA, and CyberKnife training at Accuray, California, USA. She is also the recipient of Mrs. PARVATHI SETHI Award for the best paper presentation at the National Conference of Association.
Training in Advanced Linear Accelerator at the UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center, San Francisco, USA. Trained in Image Guided Radiotherapy at the Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, USA, and CyberKnife training at Accuray, California, USA.
5. Dr. Anusheel Munshi
Dr. Anusheel Munshi has the unique distinction of getting trained and working at the best centres in India including the Tata Memorial Hospital Mumbai, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi and PGIMER Chandigarh. As a result he has over 16 years of rich experience in radiotherapy treatment with the most advanced and precise techniques, including IMRT, IGRT, Stereotactic treatments and 4D treatments.
6. Dr. Gurunath Kilara
Dr. G Kilara pursued his MD in Radiation Oncology from a renowned institute in Chandigarh and is an expert in handling all types of cancers with a brilliant career spanning over more than 35 years.
He has pioneered the introduction of several radiation techniques including the first brain implant in India using Cyberknife, IMRT, Iridium Brachytherapy treatment in Karnataka. He has won several awards and recognitions.
He has served as the president of AROI Karnataka chapter. He is also an executive member of the Breast Cancer Foundation and the Indian Society of Oncology. Dr. Kilara is serving as the Vice Chairman of the Centre of Psycho-oncology for Education and Research (COPER).
MBBS, MD (Radiation oncology)
7. Dr. Sapna Nangia
Dr. Sapna Nangia is a highly proficient clinical and radiation oncologist with versatile experience spanning across cancer management, application of precise radiation techniques, research, academics, public education and awareness. With a rich experience of more than 33 years as a doctor and 24years as an oncologist, she has been associated with some of the most reputed institutes like Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, Fortis Hospitals’ International Oncology Centre and the Army Medical Corps to name a few.
She has been trained for proton therapy by observerships at Miami Cancer Institute, Miami, Maryland Proton Treatment Center, Baltimore and Procure Proton Therapy Centre, New Jersey. She has also visited City of Hope, Duarte, Los Angeles as an observer for Tomotherapy and Total Marrow Irradiation.
Dr Nangia been an observer at Montefiore Einstein Center for Cancer Care, New York, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre, New York, Moores Cancer Centre, San Diego, earlier.
- Graduation at Armed Forces Medical College, Pune in 1985
- MD Radiotherapy at Sanjay Gandhi Institute of Medical Science, Lucknow in 1994.
- With a special interest in precision radiotherapy techniques, Dr. Nangia was one of the early adopters of IMRT in India, in 2002-2003. A thought leader in the field of radiotherapy techniques and education, Dr. Nangia has published original research in the field of head neck cancer and prostate cancer and implemented new techniques for the management of breast and hepatocellular carcinoma, the latter as the Unit head in the Radiation Oncology Department at Apollo Cancer Institute, Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi.
- Dr Nangia established / upgraded radiotherapy departments in three cancer hospitals in Delhi NCR, implementing protocol based treatments with attention to personalised care.
- Dr Nangia has participated as faculty in numerous continuing medical education programs aimed at propagating knowledge regarding the application of precision radiation techniques, within the radiation oncology fraternity, as well as for primary care physicians.
- Contributed to public awareness campaign in various schools and colleges in Delhi NCR as an Advisor to Global Cancer Concern India, an NGO engaged with cancer education and palliative care. In addition, conducted various camps and educational activities in North India.
- Consultant, Medical Affairs, Varian Medical Systems, functioning as resource for research and educational activity.
- Was actively engaged in training of radiation oncologists studying for DNB radiotherapy at two centres.
- Consistently upgraded skills by attending training programs in the field of contour delineation, molecular oncology, stereotactic radiosurgery and image guidance conducted in Europe and USA.
- Has been an observer at Montefiore Einstein Center for Cancer Care, New York, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre, New York, Moores Cancer Centre, San Diego and recently, at Miami Cancer Institute, Miami.
- Served the Army Medical Corps of Indian Army for 5 years, prior to training as an oncologist.
PUBLICATIONS AND EVENTS
- Has several publications in indexed journals and award winning posters and presentations in the field of Radiation Oncology.
- Organised well regarded intensive educational meeting in the field of precision radiation techniques.
- Invited as a faculty and for lectures in over 65 oncology fora.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Breast Cancers
- Head and Neck Cancers
8. Dr. S Hukku
- International Union Against Cancer (UICC) Fellowship: Cookridge Hospital: Leeds UK
- Japan International Cooperation Fellowship: Nagoya University: Nagoya Japan
- NargisDutt Fellowship: New York Memorial Hospital of Queens : New York USA
- British Council Fellowship: St. Bartholomews’ Hospital: London UK
- MBBS (Dr SN Medical College, Jodhpur)
- MD (PGI, Chandigarh)
9. Dr. Ramesh Bilimagga
Dr Ramesh S Bilimagga completed his MBBS and Post-Graduation in Radiation Oncology from a reputed college in Bangalore. He has also completed his Radio-Diagnostic Diploma from the same university. In addition to this, he has also completed his diploma in Law and Medical Ethics from prestigious law school in Bengaluru.
Dr Bilimagga has 40 years of experience in the field of Radiation oncology. His key area of interest lies in Radiation oncology and is vastly experienced in highly conformal Radiation such as IGRT & IMRT. He is a certified Cyber Knife trained Specialist. He is very keen in the practice in Brachytherapy in the areas of Head and Neck, Breast and Cervix. He is also known for introducing Hyperthermia along with external Radiation. He has 43 publications in the Nation and International Journals. He was on the editorial board of the Indian Journal of Cancer Research and the Journal of Contemporary Brachytherapy. He has contributed to Chapters in Breast and Lung Manograms. He is a fellow at the International college of Surgeons. He is also a founding fellow of Indian College of Radiation Oncology. He is Past Nation President of AROI (Association of Radiation of India), Indian brachytherapy Society (IBS), and Past Vice-President of Federation of Asian Radiation Oncology’s (FARO). He has been awarded the Dr. B.C Roy award from IMA, Karnataka State Branch. He has been an orator on many occasions, at various National Professional Organizations.
MBBS and Post-Graduation in Radiation Oncology from a reputed college in Bangalore. He has also completed his Radio-Diagnostic Diploma from the same university.
10. Dr. Subodh Chandra Pande
Dr. Subodh Pande has a long and rich clinical and teaching experience in the specialty of radiation oncology. After obtaining MD in radiotherapy from the AIIMS, New Delhi in 1977, he served at the Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai where he was involved in establishing its neurooncology and paediatric oncology services. He then moved to the Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, New Delhi in 1997 and helped to upgrade its stereotactic radiotherapy facility and develop a modern radiation oncology department. In 2005, he was appointed as the Director Medical Services of the Bhagwan Mahaveer Cancer Hospital and Research Centre, Jaipur and was instrumental in the commissioning of its maiden Linear Accelerator that also was a first for the State of Rajasthan. Dr. Pande has special interest in the use of Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) and PET scan based techniques for cancer management.