Top 10 Cardiac Surgeons (Adult) in India
1. Dr. Naresh Trehan
The Chairman and Managing Director of Medanta – The Medicity, Dr. Naresh Trehan is a world-renowned cardiovascular and cardiothoracic surgeon. He has been awarded the highly prestigious Padma Bhushan and the Padma Shri by the Government of India. Dr. Trehan has over 48,000 successful open heart surgeries to his credit and is the driving force behind the one-of-its-kind hospital.
|Diplomate||The American Board of Cardiothoracic Surgery, USA||1979|
|Diplomate||The American Board of Surgery, U.S.A.||1977|
|M.B.B.S.||K.G. Medical College Lucknow||1968|
2. Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty
He is a cardiac surgeon with around 34 years of experience. After completing his MBBS from the University of Mysore in 1978, he registered with the Karnataka Medical Council in 1979. Thereafter, in 1982, he received a master’s degree in surgery from the University of Mysore. In 2009, he was granted a fellowship from the Royal College of Surgeons of England. He founded our Company in the year 2000. He initiated the concept of “micro health insurance scheme” in Karnataka, which eventually led to the Karnataka government implementing the Yeshasvini scheme, a micro health insurance scheme for rural farmers.
Dr. Shetty is a professor at Rajiv Gandhi University of Medical Sciences, Bengaluru, India and University of Minnesota Medical School, USA. He is the recipient of a number of awards and honours most noteworthy being ‘Padma Shri’ and ‘Padma Bhushan’ Award in 2003 and 2012 respectively, conferred by the Government of India and the ‘Rajyotsava Award’ in 2002 conferred by the Government of Karnataka. He was also conferred with the ‘Dr. B C Roy National Award’ by the Dr. B C Roy National Award Fund under the category of ‘Eminent Medical Person’ in 2003, ‘Entrepreneur of the Year Award – Start-up 2003’ by Ernst & Young, India, and ‘Sir M. Visveswaraya Memorial Award’ conferred by the Government of Karnataka in 2003. The Rotary Bangalore Midtown conferred him with the ‘Citizen Extraordinaire’ award in 2004.
MBBS, MS, fellowship from the Royal College of Surgeons of England.
3. Dr. Bhaba Nanda Das
- Dr.Bhabananda Das is the chief cardiac surgeon at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi.
- He is one of the best professionals for cardio thoracic and cardiovascular surgeries in the country.
- With over 30 years experience, he has performed around 20,000 heart surgeries.
- Dr Bhabananda Das has experience and expertise in CABG on beating heart, Double Valve Replacement, Aortic Aneurysm Surgery, Mitral Valve Replacement, and Aortic Valve Replacement.
MBBS, MS, MCh
4. Dr. A G K Gokhale
- Has the distinction of performing India’s 1st heart-kidneycombined transplant and performing heart transplant for a 69 year old person (oldest man to undergo heart transplant in India).
- He is the 1st heart surgeon in India who did heart and lung transplantations successfully. Dr.Gokhale did the 1st successful heart transplant, 1st successful lung transplant and 1st successful implantation of ventricular assist device as bridge to recovery of heart in the states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
- Dr.Gokhale did 29 heart transplants and 3 lung transplants and more than 15,000 open heart surgeries – adult as well as pediatric with a success rate of 98.4%.
- Dr.Alla Gopala Krishna Gokhale has pioneered the art of Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery for those needing multiple bypass grafts (key hole bypass surgery), valve replacements and closure of holes in the heart.
Founder Secretary of Heart Failure Society, India, he is promoting the education of heart specialists in managing patients with heart failure. At present President of Indian society for heart and lung transplantations.
Apart from many awards from social and professional bodies, Dr.Gokhale received Padma Shri, the country’s fourth highest civilian award (year 2016)
Established Sahrudaya Health,Medical and Educational Trust, a for non-profit organization and is establishing open heart surgery programme at Government General Hospital, Guntur, his alma matter, on a PPP model with Government of Andhra Pradesh. In that government hospital, nearly 500 open heart surgeries and 3 heart transplantations were doine.
MBBS ; MS (General Surgery); M.Ch ; DNB (Cardiothoracic and Vascular surgery) SMP(IIM-C)
5. Dr. Ramakanta Panda
- Considered the best heart surgeon in India, Dr. Panda has performed over 20,000 cardiac surgeriesincluding over 1,000 Redo Bypass Surgeries and over 3,000 high risk surgeries.
- He has specialized in Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting using only arterial grafts, beating heart surgery, redo bypass surgery, valve repair, complex aneurysms.
- He is one of the safest heart surgeons in the world with a 99.7% success rate in bypass surgery.
- Trained in cardiac surgery from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
- Completed his fellowship training at Cleveland Clinic, USA, under Dr. Floyd Loop – pioneer of Bypass surgery, followed by two years as an Associate Staff.
- Sr. Registrar at the Harefield Hospital, in the United Kingdom, training under Professor Magdi Yacoub, considered one of the foremost cardiac surgeons in the world.
6. Dr. Ganesh Kumar Mani
- Advanced training in Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery under the world renowned heart surgeon Prof. Douglas Baird at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, Australia (1983).
- Advanced Training in Paediatric Cardiac Surgery under Prof. Tim Cartmill at Royal Alexandra Hospital for Sick Children, Sydney, Australia (1984).
- Heart Transplant training under the able guidance of Dr.Victor Chang & Dr. Mark Shanhan at St. Vincent’s Hospital in Sydney (1984).
- Advanced training in Pediatric Cardiac Surgery under another world renowned figure Dr.Roger Mee at the Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne, in 1985.
- MBBS Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi 1969
- MS (Gen.surgery) Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi 1975
- M.Ch.,(C.T.S.) Christian Medical College, Vellore (T.N.) 1979
- MNAMS (CTVS) National Academy of Medical Sciences 1980
7. Dr. Murtaza A Chishti
Dr Chishti is backed by years of thorough medical education and training. He completed MBBS from the University of Kashmir, FMGEMS from USA and PLAB from United Kingdom.
He comes with a rich reserve of overseas work experience, including cardio thoracic fellowships in St. Mary’s hospital, Milwaukee, USA, Royal Perth Hospital Perth, Australia and Prince Henry and Prince Wales Hospitals in Sydney Australia. At home, he held several important and prominent positions like Chief Consultant and Associate Professor in Mahatma Gandhi University of Medical Sciences and Technology and Senior Consultant Cardiac Surgeon at Fortis-Escorts New Delhi, among others.
MBBS, MS (General Surgery), M Ch (CTVS)
Cardio-thoracic Surgery Fellowship:
St. Mary’s hospital, Milwaukee, WI, USA
Royal Perth Hospital Perth WA, AUSTRALIA
Prince Henry and Prince of Wales hospitals Sydney, AUSTRALIA
8. Dr. Anoop K Ganjoo
- Dr. Anoop K Ganjoo is a practicing cardiologist and cardiothoracic surgeon at Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi.
- In his experience of over 25 years, Dr Roy has pioneered in many complicated procedures in cardiology and cardiac interventions.
- He specialises in various complicated procedures including Peripheral and Coronary angiography & angioplasty, Pacemaker, ICD, CRT implantation, Radiofrequency ablation of arrhythmias, Balloon valvuloplasty, Adult ASD, VSD, PDA device closure.
MBBS, MS, Mch (AIIMS), DNB, FIACS
9. Dr. Z S Meharwal
Dr Z. S. Meharwal is Director and Coordinator of Department of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery. He is part of the founding team of Doctors at Fortis Escorts Heart Institute. He did his M.B.B.S, M.S (General Surgery) and M.Ch (Cardiothoracic Surgery) from King George Medical College, Lucknow. He has worked as Consultant Cardiac Surgeon at prestigious King’s College Hospital in London.
He has more than 25 years of experience in cardiac surgery with over 20,000 surgeries to his credit, including complex cardiac procedures. Dr. Meharwal has been actively involved with teaching and training. He is also the Programme Director of DNB Cardiothoracic Surgery at Fortis Escorts Heart Institute.
Dr. Meharwal has also been invited in national and international meetings as faculty. He has more than 40 publications in peer reviewed journals to his credit. Dr. Meharwal has been actively involved in social services and has been organizing free cardiac camps all over the country and has been delivering health talks to public. Dr. Meharwal has received many awards including President award for his contribution in the field of Cardiac Surgery.
10. Dr. Ajay Kaul
Dr. Ajay Kaul has a vast surgical experience of over 15000 cardiac operations. He is a versatile surgeon whose surgical spectrum ranges from total arterial coronary bypass surgery, Paediatric cardiac surgery, valve repairs, surgery for aneurysm and surgery for cardiac failure. He is trained for heart transplants and ventricular assist devices. He has also performed a large number of over 4000 minimally invasive cardiac surgical procedures.
Coronary Bypass Surgery: Dr. Kaul is one of the finest surgeons for coronary bypass surgery. He has a rich experience of performing one of the largest numbers more than 4000 cases total arterial coronary bypass surgery, using two internal mammary arteries from the chest, with no cuts on the legs and arms.
Dr. Kaul has experience of operating all types of complex congenital heart disease in children, with very good results. Minimally Invasive Surgery: He performs most of mitral valve surgeries, Aortic valve replacement, ASD and few VSD, are by making 1-2 inch cuts on the chest. He was also instrumental in starting world class coronary bypass program in northern India involving total arterial bypass surgery and has performed over 1000 cases in last 2 years Fortis Escorts Heart Institute.
- MBBS, MS (General Surgery), M.ch. (Cardiothoracic Surgery)